Obama seeks to curb Iran, Syria dissident monitoring
Reuters - Apr 23, 2012
A walk through the waste, excreta and sewage that abounds in India./ U.S. President Barack Obama delivers remarks on job creation at Lorain County Community College in Elyria, Ohio, April 18, 2012./ (Reuters) - U.S. President Barack Obama will announce sanctions on Monday on those helping Syria and Iran acquire technology that lets them target dissidents through their cell phone and Internet use. Social media tools that allowed democracy campaigners to organize rallies across the Middle East and North Africa are being monitored by Tehran ...
Yahoo! News - Apr 23, 2012
and the "digital guns for hire" who help them oppress their people with Obama announced additions to the pile of US sanctions already faced by the two , atrocities and genocide, at a speech at the US Holocaust Museum. The measures will hit the two governments but also companies that help create systems that track or monitor their people for killing, torture or other abuses and prevent individuals involved from entering the United States. "I've signed an executive order that authorizes new sanctions against the Syrian government and Iran and ...
Fox News - Apr 23, 2012
The Obama administration is piling new sanctions on Iranian and Syrian intelligence agencies and communications firms to pressure entities that use information technology to commit human rights abuses. After President Barack Obama signed a new executive order permitting the penalties on Monday, the Treasury Department slapped sanctions on six Iranian and Syrian companies or government branches along with the head of Syria's intelligence directorate. The sanctions freeze any assets they may have in U.S. jurisdictions and ban Americans from ...
Washington Post - Apr 23, 2012
President Obama issued an executive order Monday that allows U.S. officials for the first time to impose sanctions against foreign nationals found to have used new technologies, from cellphone tracking to Internet monitoring, to help carry out grave human rights abuses. Social media and cellphone technology have been widely credited with helping democracy advocates organize against autocratic governments and better expose rights violations, most notably over the past year and a half in the Middle East and North Africa./ THE FIX | Being the ...
Yahoo! News - Apr 23, 2012
will issue an order on Monday to allow imposition of sanctions on foreign nationals who use new technologies such as cell-phone tracking and as saying that the executive order was designed to target companies and individuals assisting The paper said the order noted that while social media and cell phones had helped democracy advocates organize in the Middle East, they had also enabled security services of autocratic nations such as to conduct surveillance of dissidents and block access to the Internet. The order will acknowledge these ...
Business Week - Apr 23, 2012
President Barack Obama authorized sanctions against individuals and entities that provide information technology that aid regimes in cracking down on dissidents. The executive order from the president is aimed at thwarting the governments of Syria and Iran in particular for their “malign use of technology” to track, monitor and disrupt anti government protesters. The targets of the sanctions are those who operated, sold, leased or provided services or technology that those governments use to abuse human rights, according to an executive ...
- Russia Sees Chance to Lift Iran Sanctions Through International Talks (VOA News)
- Russia sees chance to lift Iran sanctions through international talks (Reuters)
- Iran says testing new nuclear enrichment machine, may irk West (Reuters)
- Iran says testing new nuclear enrichment machine, may irk West (Yahoo! News)
- US Coast Guard fires at Iranian boat in Gulf (Washington Post)
- Coast Guard boat fires on Iran-flagged vessel in Persian Gulf, ... (Fox News)
- Report: Iran redesigning reactor as part of deal (Washington Post)
- Iran starts redesigning of Arak heavy water reactor (Trend)
- Iranian minister says Saudi talks 'constructive' (Reuters)
- Iran envoy meets Saudi foreign minister in highest-level talks since ... (Fox News)
- Iran to sue Israel over drone issue: spokesperson (Xinhua)
- Iran promises weapons and military equipment to West Bank terrorists (Examiner)
- UPDATE 3-Iran provided weapons to Iraqi Kurds; Baghdad bomb kills 12 (Reuters)
- Iran Supplied Weapons To Iraqi Kurdish Forces (Huffington Post)
- Iran's Oil Minister: Not Alarmed by Crude Price (Nasdaq)
- UPDATE 1-Iran oil min: oil prices appropriate, decline is short-lived (Reuters)
- Iran Delays Oil Contracts Conference Until After Nuclear Talks (Business Week)
- Iran Postpones Oil Deals Roadshow to 2015 (Wall Street Journal)
- Iran's Zarif, EU's Ashton to meet September 1 on nuclear dispute (Yahoo! News)
- EU Foreign Policy Chief Ashton to Meet Iranian Counterpart Zarif Next Month (Wall Street Journal)