Obama seeks to curb Iran, Syria dissident monitoring
Reuters - Apr 23, 2012
A walk through the waste, excreta and sewage that abounds in India./ U.S. President Barack Obama delivers remarks on job creation at Lorain County Community College in Elyria, Ohio, April 18, 2012./ (Reuters) - U.S. President Barack Obama will announce sanctions on Monday on those helping Syria and Iran acquire technology that lets them target dissidents through their cell phone and Internet use. Social media tools that allowed democracy campaigners to organize rallies across the Middle East and North Africa are being monitored by Tehran ...
Yahoo! News - Apr 23, 2012
and the "digital guns for hire" who help them oppress their people with Obama announced additions to the pile of US sanctions already faced by the two , atrocities and genocide, at a speech at the US Holocaust Museum. The measures will hit the two governments but also companies that help create systems that track or monitor their people for killing, torture or other abuses and prevent individuals involved from entering the United States. "I've signed an executive order that authorizes new sanctions against the Syrian government and Iran and ...
Fox News - Apr 23, 2012
The Obama administration is piling new sanctions on Iranian and Syrian intelligence agencies and communications firms to pressure entities that use information technology to commit human rights abuses. After President Barack Obama signed a new executive order permitting the penalties on Monday, the Treasury Department slapped sanctions on six Iranian and Syrian companies or government branches along with the head of Syria's intelligence directorate. The sanctions freeze any assets they may have in U.S. jurisdictions and ban Americans from ...
Washington Post - Apr 23, 2012
President Obama issued an executive order Monday that allows U.S. officials for the first time to impose sanctions against foreign nationals found to have used new technologies, from cellphone tracking to Internet monitoring, to help carry out grave human rights abuses. Social media and cellphone technology have been widely credited with helping democracy advocates organize against autocratic governments and better expose rights violations, most notably over the past year and a half in the Middle East and North Africa./ THE FIX | Being the ...
Yahoo! News - Apr 23, 2012
will issue an order on Monday to allow imposition of sanctions on foreign nationals who use new technologies such as cell-phone tracking and as saying that the executive order was designed to target companies and individuals assisting The paper said the order noted that while social media and cell phones had helped democracy advocates organize in the Middle East, they had also enabled security services of autocratic nations such as to conduct surveillance of dissidents and block access to the Internet. The order will acknowledge these ...
Business Week - Apr 23, 2012
President Barack Obama authorized sanctions against individuals and entities that provide information technology that aid regimes in cracking down on dissidents. The executive order from the president is aimed at thwarting the governments of Syria and Iran in particular for their “malign use of technology” to track, monitor and disrupt anti government protesters. The targets of the sanctions are those who operated, sold, leased or provided services or technology that those governments use to abuse human rights, according to an executive ...
- Official: Iran will not discuss missile program (Washington Post)
- Official: Iran will not discuss missile program (Yahoo! News)
- Iran Asks UN to Address US Refusal to Issue Envoy Visa (VOA News)
- Iran protests US visa denial for UN ambassador pick (Fox News)
- Iran ready to expand ties with UAE (Tehran Times)
- Iran stresses ties with Persian Gulf littoral states (Press TV)
- UN expert urges Iran to halt woman's execution (Yahoo! News)
- UN's Iran rights watchdog slams case of death-row woman (Iran Focus)
- Iran ready to supply natural gas to Europe: Minister (Payvand)
- Iran ready to supply natural gas to Europe: Min. (Press TV)
- Iran Talking to EU Businesses About Future Investment, Seif Says (Business Week)
- Iran in investment talks with EU businesses: CBI (Press TV)
- Iran scraps plan to send warships to Atlantic -Fars (Reuters)
- Iran calls off plan to send warships to Atlantic (Yahoo! News)
- Iran court overturns ex-US Marine's death sentence (Yahoo! News)
- Lawyer: Former Marine held in Iran secretly retried (USA Today)
- Iran says "no replacement" for its new UN envoy pick (Xinhua)
- Iran says has no plans to substitute UN envoy pick (Fox News)
- Iran Feb. Oil Shipments Highest Since Sanctions Began, IEA Says (Business Week)
- UPDATE 1-Iran's oil exports surge above West's sanctions cap -IEA (Reuters)