Reuters - Apr 23, 2012
A walk through the waste, excreta and sewage that abounds in India./ U.S. President Barack Obama delivers remarks on job creation at Lorain County Community College in Elyria, Ohio, April 18, 2012./ (Reuters) - U.S. President Barack Obama will announce sanctions on Monday on those helping Syria and Iran acquire technology that lets them target dissidents through their cell phone and Internet use. Social media tools that allowed democracy campaigners to organize rallies across the Middle East and North Africa are being monitored by Tehran ...
Yahoo! News - Apr 23, 2012
and the "digital guns for hire" who help them oppress their people with Obama announced additions to the pile of US sanctions already faced by the two , atrocities and genocide, at a speech at the US Holocaust Museum. The measures will hit the two governments but also companies that help create systems that track or monitor their people for killing, torture or other abuses and prevent individuals involved from entering the United States. "I've signed an executive order that authorizes new sanctions against the Syrian government and Iran and ...
Fox News - Apr 23, 2012
The Obama administration is piling new sanctions on Iranian and Syrian intelligence agencies and communications firms to pressure entities that use information technology to commit human rights abuses. After President Barack Obama signed a new executive order permitting the penalties on Monday, the Treasury Department slapped sanctions on six Iranian and Syrian companies or government branches along with the head of Syria's intelligence directorate. The sanctions freeze any assets they may have in U.S. jurisdictions and ban Americans from ...
Washington Post - Apr 23, 2012
President Obama issued an executive order Monday that allows U.S. officials for the first time to impose sanctions against foreign nationals found to have used new technologies, from cellphone tracking to Internet monitoring, to help carry out grave human rights abuses. Social media and cellphone technology have been widely credited with helping democracy advocates organize against autocratic governments and better expose rights violations, most notably over the past year and a half in the Middle East and North Africa./ THE FIX | Being the ...
Yahoo! News - Apr 23, 2012
will issue an order on Monday to allow imposition of sanctions on foreign nationals who use new technologies such as cell-phone tracking and as saying that the executive order was designed to target companies and individuals assisting The paper said the order noted that while social media and cell phones had helped democracy advocates organize in the Middle East, they had also enabled security services of autocratic nations such as to conduct surveillance of dissidents and block access to the Internet. The order will acknowledge these ...
Business Week - Apr 23, 2012
President Barack Obama authorized sanctions against individuals and entities that provide information technology that aid regimes in cracking down on dissidents. The executive order from the president is aimed at thwarting the governments of Syria and Iran in particular for their “malign use of technology” to track, monitor and disrupt anti government protesters. The targets of the sanctions are those who operated, sold, leased or provided services or technology that those governments use to abuse human rights, according to an executive ...
- Iran Unveils Memorial Honoring Fallen Jewish Heroes (Huffington Post)
- Iran unveils a memorial honoring Jewish heroes (Washington Post)
- Iran honours nuclear deal with powers, IAEA report shows (Reuters)
- Iran Urged To Be More Flexible (Radio Free Europe)
- UN OKs measures targeting North Korea, Iran, Syria (Washington Post)
- Iran FM rejected UN human right resolution (Trend)
- US delays release of study on 1953 Iran coup (Washington Post)
- US delays release of study on 1953 Iran coup (Yahoo! News)
- Iran nuke talks resume in Geneva (Xinhua)
- Iran nuclear negotiations resume in Geneva (UPI)
- Iran says sees more 'good steps' ahead in nuclear talks (Yahoo! News)
- Iran Says 'Good Steps, Good Atmosphere' At Nuclear Talks (Radio Free Europe)
- Like Iran, secret diplomacy leads to US-Cuba thaw (Washington Post)
- 2 years after telling aides to think big, Obama turns new page with ... (Fox News)
- Security stepped up as Australia orders siege probe (Yahoo! News)
- Iran says it warned Australia hostage taker suffered from psychological ... (Tehran Times)
- Why oil is down by half, what it means for you (Yahoo! News)
- Lower crude prices will even affect Persian Gulf Arab economies badly: ... (Tehran Times)
- US, Iran hold bilateral nulcear talks in Geneva (Xinhua)
- Iranian official says replacing members of US negotiating team has no ... (Payvand)