Can Iran Play a Part in Syria Solution?
NY Times - June 9, 2012
Syrians on Thursday denounced an alleged government massacre in al-Qubair in this photograph supplied by the opposition./ LONDON — As Western leaders on Thursday denounced the latest , moves were afoot to bring Iran into international efforts toward a peaceful resolution of the conflict. In more than a year of unrest and repression, Iran has been regarded — at least in the West — as part of the problem rather than part of the solution. Tehran has been accused of supplying the regime of President Bashar al-Assad with weapons and money to ...
Yahoo! News - June 9, 2012
"The situation in Syria is becoming more alarming," on the crisis. "An impression is being created that Syria is on the verge of a full-scale civil conflict." He said two recent attacks had put Russians in the capital Damascus in danger: a bus carrying Russian specialists that came under fire on Saturday and a Friday grenade attack on a building where Russians live. There were no injuries, he said. Despite growing concerns that the situation may be spinning out of control, Russia as a member of the "will not sanction the use of force," he ...
Yahoo! News - June 8, 2012
UN monitors are to try again on Friday to reach the site of a Syrian massacre after being shot at in their first attempt, as urged united action to stop the crisis from spiralling out of control. In a closed-door briefing to the UN Security Council, the UN-Arab League envoy called on world powers to warn 's regime of "clear consequences" unless it abides by his widely flouted peace plan, a diplomat told AFP. "The longer we wait, the darker the future looks for Annan called for "united" and "substantial" pressure on Assad, and said there ...
Trend - June 9, 2012
Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov stressed Iran's vital role and influence in resolving regional issues, and said Tehran as a regional powerhouse should be included in a contact group to put an end to the Syrian crisis, FNA reported. Gatilov said that Russia supports UN-Arab League special envoy Kofi Annan's proposal of setting up an international contact group to bring together key global and regional players to help put an early end to the 16- month Syrian crisis. The senior diplomat noted that such a group should include ...
Iran Focus - June 9, 2012
International attempts to find a solution to the violence in Syria would be "unworkable" if they involved Iran, a UK Foreign Office minister has said. Middle East minister Alistair Burt said the regime in Tehran had supported president Bashar Assad's crackdown on opposition groups in Syria. Peace envoy Kofi Annan has proposed creating a contact group of countries, possibly including Iran, which could help resolve the crisis. But Mr Burt said it was "very difficult to see" how the involvement of Iran could help. At the United Nations, former ...
- Iran Rejects Western Criticism Of Human Rights Record (Radio Free Europe)
- Iran's rights record under fire at UN (Yahoo! News)
- Kerry, Iran Minister to Meet Ahead of Deadline For Atom Deal (Newsweek)
- Kerry, Iran minister to meet ahead of deadline for atom deal (Reuters)
- Iran wants sanctions lifted before nuclear deal (Yahoo! News)
- Iran wants sanctions lifted before nuclear deal: official (Daily Times)
- Iran Oil Revenue Shrinks 30 Percent on Price Drop, Rouhani Says (Business Week)
- Iran Says Oil Revenue Down 30% Because of Global Price Decline (Bloomberg)
- Iran says foils bid to sabotage nuclear heavy-water tanks: newspaper (Reuters)
- Iran foils sabotage attempt on heavy water tanks (Washington Post)
- Jailed reporter's family urges Iranian authorities to release him (Fox News)
- Reporter's family urges Iran to release him (Kansas City)
- Iran envoy rejects U.N. investigator's charges of rights abuses (Yahoo! News)
- Iran Leader Fails to Deliver on Rights Promises, UN Says (Bloomberg)
- Photos: Luxury Train From Europe Arrives In Tehran (Payvand)
- Western tourists in Tehran on luxury ride (Gulf Times)
- Woman Hanged In Iran For Killing Alleged Rapist Sent Her Family A ... (Huffington Post)
- Heartbreaking last message of hanged Iranian woman Reyhaneh Jabbari to ... (India Times)
- In Iran, 130 sickened by toxic gas dump (Washington Post)
- In Iran, 130 sickened by toxic gas dump (Yahoo! News)