NY Times - June 9, 2012
Syrians on Thursday denounced an alleged government massacre in al-Qubair in this photograph supplied by the opposition./ LONDON — As Western leaders on Thursday denounced the latest , moves were afoot to bring Iran into international efforts toward a peaceful resolution of the conflict. In more than a year of unrest and repression, Iran has been regarded — at least in the West — as part of the problem rather than part of the solution. Tehran has been accused of supplying the regime of President Bashar al-Assad with weapons and money to ...
Yahoo! News - June 9, 2012
"The situation in Syria is becoming more alarming," on the crisis. "An impression is being created that Syria is on the verge of a full-scale civil conflict." He said two recent attacks had put Russians in the capital Damascus in danger: a bus carrying Russian specialists that came under fire on Saturday and a Friday grenade attack on a building where Russians live. There were no injuries, he said. Despite growing concerns that the situation may be spinning out of control, Russia as a member of the "will not sanction the use of force," he ...
Yahoo! News - June 8, 2012
UN monitors are to try again on Friday to reach the site of a Syrian massacre after being shot at in their first attempt, as urged united action to stop the crisis from spiralling out of control. In a closed-door briefing to the UN Security Council, the UN-Arab League envoy called on world powers to warn 's regime of "clear consequences" unless it abides by his widely flouted peace plan, a diplomat told AFP. "The longer we wait, the darker the future looks for Annan called for "united" and "substantial" pressure on Assad, and said there ...
Trend - June 9, 2012
Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov stressed Iran's vital role and influence in resolving regional issues, and said Tehran as a regional powerhouse should be included in a contact group to put an end to the Syrian crisis, FNA reported. Gatilov said that Russia supports UN-Arab League special envoy Kofi Annan's proposal of setting up an international contact group to bring together key global and regional players to help put an early end to the 16- month Syrian crisis. The senior diplomat noted that such a group should include ...
Iran Focus - June 9, 2012
International attempts to find a solution to the violence in Syria would be "unworkable" if they involved Iran, a UK Foreign Office minister has said. Middle East minister Alistair Burt said the regime in Tehran had supported president Bashar Assad's crackdown on opposition groups in Syria. Peace envoy Kofi Annan has proposed creating a contact group of countries, possibly including Iran, which could help resolve the crisis. But Mr Burt said it was "very difficult to see" how the involvement of Iran could help. At the United Nations, former ...
- Israeli PM Blames Iran for Flareup Along Israel-Lebanon Border (VOA News)
- Netanyahu blasts Iran for Hezbollah attack on Lebanon border (Washington Post)
- Senate panel approves Iran sanctions bill (Yahoo! News)
- GOP pushes for immediate vote on Iran sanctions bill (Press TV)
- Iran, Europe negotiatiors to meet Thursday in Istanbul (Yahoo! News)
- Iran, Europe negotiators to meet Thursday in Istanbul (Al-Arabiya)
- Iran says Israel crossed 'red lines', vows to respond: IRNA (Reuters)
- Iran sends warning to Israel via US officials (Washington Post)
- Obama wins breathing space over Iran (Financial Times)
- Senate Dems oppose Iran sanctions vote before March 24 (USA Today)
- Iran, Russia to create joint bank for national currency trade (Tehran Times)
- Tehran, Moscow work on visa abolition for businessmen and tourists (Trend)
- Tehran firm says to launch Iran's first index ETF (Reuters)
- Iran Stock-Index ETF Aims to Lure Foreigners Amid Nuclear Talks (Business Week)
- Iran's foreign minister summoned to parliament over walk with Kerry (Reuters)
- Iran foreign minister summoned to explain stroll with Kerry (Washington Post)
- Israel's Netanyahu defends US Congress address (Yahoo! News)
- Boehner invites Israeli leader to address Congress on Iran (Washington Post)
- Azmoun to lead Iran attack against Iraq (Reuters)
- Iraq beat Iran on penalties at Asian Cup (Al-Arabiya)