Can Iran Play a Part in Syria Solution?
NY Times - June 9, 2012
Syrians on Thursday denounced an alleged government massacre in al-Qubair in this photograph supplied by the opposition./ LONDON — As Western leaders on Thursday denounced the latest , moves were afoot to bring Iran into international efforts toward a peaceful resolution of the conflict. In more than a year of unrest and repression, Iran has been regarded — at least in the West — as part of the problem rather than part of the solution. Tehran has been accused of supplying the regime of President Bashar al-Assad with weapons and money to ...
Yahoo! News - June 9, 2012
"The situation in Syria is becoming more alarming," on the crisis. "An impression is being created that Syria is on the verge of a full-scale civil conflict." He said two recent attacks had put Russians in the capital Damascus in danger: a bus carrying Russian specialists that came under fire on Saturday and a Friday grenade attack on a building where Russians live. There were no injuries, he said. Despite growing concerns that the situation may be spinning out of control, Russia as a member of the "will not sanction the use of force," he ...
Yahoo! News - June 8, 2012
UN monitors are to try again on Friday to reach the site of a Syrian massacre after being shot at in their first attempt, as urged united action to stop the crisis from spiralling out of control. In a closed-door briefing to the UN Security Council, the UN-Arab League envoy called on world powers to warn 's regime of "clear consequences" unless it abides by his widely flouted peace plan, a diplomat told AFP. "The longer we wait, the darker the future looks for Annan called for "united" and "substantial" pressure on Assad, and said there ...
Trend - June 9, 2012
Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov stressed Iran's vital role and influence in resolving regional issues, and said Tehran as a regional powerhouse should be included in a contact group to put an end to the Syrian crisis, FNA reported. Gatilov said that Russia supports UN-Arab League special envoy Kofi Annan's proposal of setting up an international contact group to bring together key global and regional players to help put an early end to the 16- month Syrian crisis. The senior diplomat noted that such a group should include ...
Iran Focus - June 9, 2012
International attempts to find a solution to the violence in Syria would be "unworkable" if they involved Iran, a UK Foreign Office minister has said. Middle East minister Alistair Burt said the regime in Tehran had supported president Bashar Assad's crackdown on opposition groups in Syria. Peace envoy Kofi Annan has proposed creating a contact group of countries, possibly including Iran, which could help resolve the crisis. But Mr Burt said it was "very difficult to see" how the involvement of Iran could help. At the United Nations, former ...
- Iran, North Korea, Syria block U.N. arms trade treaty (Yahoo! News)
- Chair suspends meeting after Iran, NKorea say they will block adoption ... (Washington Post)
- Saudi prosecutor demands execution of Shi'ite cleric (Yahoo! News)
- Espionage ring in Saudi Arabia linked to Iran: interior ministry (Al-Arabiya)
- Iran says not linked to group arrested in Saudi Arabia for spying (Yahoo! News)
- Iran says not linked to group arrested in Saudi Arabia for spying (Daily Times)
- After Israeli backslapping, Obama faces Palestinian discontent (Yahoo! News)
- Obama, Netanyahu Issue Warnings to Iran and Assad (VOA News)
- Nuclear talks: Iran unmoved by world powers' latest proposal (Yahoo! News)
- Six powers flesh out nuclear proposals in Iran talks (Reuters)
- Iran Frees Rafsanjani's Daughter (Radio Free Europe)
- Daughter of centrist Iranian ex-president Rafsanjani released from jail (Fox News)
- Obama to Iran: Answer questions on nuclear program (USA Today)
- Now is the time for Iran to settle nuclear dispute: Obama (Yahoo! News)
- Iran launches domestically built destroyer in the Caspian Sea (Washington Post)
- Jamaran-2, Iran Destroyer, Launched In The Caspian Sea (Huffington Post)
- Iran in talks with Britain to resume consular activities (Tehran Times)
- Iran in talks with UK to resume consular ties (Trend)
- Iran to try 18 over killing of nuclear scientists (Huffington Post)
- Iran to try 18 over killing of nuclear scientists (Yahoo! News)